Immatics’ proprietary technology platforms for the discovery of true targets (XPRESIDENT®) and development of right TCRs (XCEPTOR™):
XPRESIDENT® offers the potential exploitation of the whole tumor-associated antigen repertoire exhibiting an approximately 300% increased cancer target space and greater application potential compared to CAR-T and classical antibody approaches which can target surface antigens only.
Beyond the identification of true targets from well-known tumor antigens (such as the MAGE antigen family used in IMA201 and IMA202), XPRESIDENT® also identifies novel cancer targets (such as the tumor stroma target COL6A3 exon 6 used in IMA204 designed to disrupt the tumor microenvironment). In addition, Immatics is utilizing XPRESIDENT® to unlock new target spaces through novel target classes such as crypto-targets and shared neoantigens.
Based on the unique interplay between Immatics’ target and TCR discovery platforms XPRESIDENT® and XCEPTOR™, we have the capability to identify and engineer the right T cell receptors with the desired affinity and specificity. These technology platforms are the foundation for strengthening the product pipeline and Immatics’ leading position in the field of TCR-based therapies. Over time Immatics has published its discoveries in multiple peer-reviewed, high-impact publications including Nature, Nature Medicine, Nature Biotechnology, Nature Communications and Lancet Oncology.
Immatics’ proprietary target and TCR technology platforms at a glance:
- One of the largest target discovery databases. The primary tissue database is comprised of thousands of cancer and normal tissue samples covering most relevant organs. From these tissues a multitude of data is gathered (including genome, proteome, immunopeptidome, in depth transcriptome) and compiled in Immatics’ database, building the foundation for its target discovery.
- Identification of true target peptides for TCR-based immunotherapies. XPRESIDENT® is built to identify the peptides actually presented on real tumors, and provides quantitative information on copy numbers, which allows differentiation between peptides originating from the same parent protein. Thus, Immatics believes XPRESIDENT® enables the identification of the most relevant tumor-associated pHLA targets.
- Large pool of prioritized targets. Immatics has prioritized more than 200 pHLA targets encompassing all known target classes.
- Favorable target characteristics. Targets discovered and validated by XPRESIDENT® are (i) naturally presented in real tumors; (ii) presented in sufficient copy numbers; (iii) highly prevalent in several cancer patient populations; and (iv) expressed in tumor tissue with no or quantitatively lower expression in normal tissue to avoid potential toxicities that might occur if healthy tissue were attacked by product candidates.
- High-throughput TCR identification. Immatics’ proprietary XCEPTOR™ platform enables fast, efficient and highly sensitive discovery of natural TCRs with high affinity and high specificity.
- Right TCRs for ACT and TCR Bispecifics. Immatics has significant protein engineering expertise to design TCRs with increased preclinical activity for Adoptive Cell Therapy and TCR Bispecifics product candidates.
- Optimized TCRs. Unique interplay between Immatics’ target and TCR discovery platforms enables early de-selection of cross-reactive TCRs. Immatics believes that XPRESIDENT®-guided on-and off-target toxicity screening, enabled by the large normal tissue immunopeptidome database, minimizes safety risks in clinical development.